This site contains information on BMP Enterprises Projects
Tuesday December 12th 2017
###This site is under construction and over time will be updated with BMP Enterprises project information.###Click on links above to see overview material for each item.###Click on links in the Categories Section below left to see more component information and more recent posts.

Making the Transmission Adapter Plate

These are the steps used to create the adapter plate to attach and center properly the motor to the transmission.

We started with a  3/4″ 6061 aluminum plate and made an acrylic template that showed the bolt holes from both transmission and motor as well as the outlines. This kept us on track and helped make decisions.

The next step was to drill holes for the alignment pins in the transmission. We marked the two spots using the transmission as a guide.

The use of transfer punches made sure the plate was marked properly.

Here are the finished holes with threads, looks like we selected the correct bolt lengths.  

From there we needed to find the exact center of the transmission to later line up with the exact center of the motor. To do this we created a ‘center punch’ that we fitted onto the transmission shaft and used the clutch action to make our mark.

At this point we didn’t have the capability for precise machining on a piece of this size. So we hired a machinist to cut our centering ring and the hole for the coupler. Here it is back from the machine shop.

And then fitting it to the motor for the first time.

And then the first complete fitting test between motor and transmission.

Then we began the process of marking the bolts holes for the motor using a transfer screw set, shown above with the transfer punches and here.

After drilling and testing all the holes they needed to be countersunk so the transmission could sit flush against the plate.

This is the plate countersunk and bolted to the motor. And the final assembly stage joining motor and transmission.

The last modification to the plate was to make room for the trans-axle on that side. So we cut a radius by drilling several holes and cutting out with a saw.

A picture of the trans-axle fitted.

There was more work needed to get the trans-axle bearing held in the proper fashion, but that will be a separate topic.